When you conjure up in your mind the image of a folding bike, you will see a pair of small wheels, the long handlebars and single cross bar. All neatly finished with a practical set of mudguards and a neat load carrier. In fact what you see is the worlds biggest selling bike, the Dahon Boardwalk.
With its classic looks, and strong construction the Boardwalk has gone on to be the most popular bike of the Dahon range. So what makes it so good?
To start with its relatively inexpensive, and makes a great introduction to Folding Bikes, at less than $320 it is packed with features to make your journey a breeze.
Folding time is a little higher than more expensive bikes at a shade over 15 seconds. Although the best come in at about 11 seconds, so its not a huge disadvantage.
What you do trade off at this price is weight. The Boardwalk weighs in at 27.3 pounds/12.3 kilograms so while its strong its also quite heavy. For lighter bikes of this style the are more expensive versions, but this is a great bike to consider for occasional use or as an introduction to folding bikes.
Where to Buy the Dahon Boardwalk
The best source of the Dahon Boardwalk is Amazon, they ship for free and include the Dahon 2 year Warranty. Their prices are about the best in market and back up with great support.
Features and Benefits of the Dahon Boardwalk
- Speeds: One – Simple to use and low maintenance
- Frame: H Series, SuperLite 4130 chromoly – Strong and Light
- Front and Rear Brakes: ProMax V, – V-Brakes for strong stopping power
- Clip System
- Luggage Bracket
- Wheel Reflectors
- Front & Rear Reflectors
Pros of the Dahon Boardwalk
A great low cost entry model, and an extremely popular bike!
Simple to ride with its single speed gears, and the chrome alloy frame provides great strength.
Cons of the Dahon Boardwalk
At 27lb its quite heavy, and the folding speed is high. This is off set by the comfort features such as the mud guards and luggage bracket.
This makes an excellent choice for anyone looking to take up riding folding bikes for commuting or leisure. It’s quick folding and very reliable. If you are looking for a companion on your commute that is cheap to run and good to ride, that can also tackle hills and carry your luggage then the Dahon Boardwalk is a great choice.
Dahon Boardwalk Folding Bike, Obsidian Review Summary:
- One-speed urban utility bike with frame that folds in less than 15 seconds
- Folds to 12.1 by 30.4 by 25.4 inches; weighs 27.3 pounds
- Magnetix latch system holds the bike together when folded
- Adjustable stem adapts to riders of all sizes from under five feet to over six feet tall
- Dahon Neos rear derailleur offers crisp, fast shifting and a low profile design